[et_pb_section bb_built=”1″][et_pb_row][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_post_title _builder_version=”3.0.106″ saved_tabs=”all” title=”on” meta=”on” author=”on” date=”on” categories=”off” comments=”on” featured_image=”off” featured_placement=”below” text_color=”dark” text_background=”off” title_font_size=”36px” title_text_color=”#75ae4c” text_orientation=”center” global_module=”4637″ /][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][et_pb_row][et_pb_column type=”2_3″][et_pb_text _builder_version=”3.0.106″ background_layout=”light”]
A couple of weeks ago on My Life Experiment I wrote about “Gaining Self-Acceptance for my Not So Social Nature.”
In this article I just want to lay out some of the pro’s and con’s to having a social style that doesn’t desire all that much social interaction.
I enjoy laying out the cons to things, since then I can build up the thing with the pros at the end!
Some Cons to Having a Not So Social Nature:
- Not seeking many opportunities to socialize- I know that socializing is very important for maintaining mental and emotional health. My style leads me to isolate pretty easily if I am not careful. And isolation is not good for my continued growth.
- When I want to Socialize, others may not want to- Sometimes I really do feel like socializing. The whole introverted thing is not an all or nothing proposition, I just happen to be more inclined to not want to socialize than to want to. So, since I am really good at hanging out with myself, I sometimes find it difficult to let people believe I actually want to hang out!
- Style Strengthens with use- I understand that what I do most often, is what I am learning most about doing more. I don’t learn how to socialize more until I actually socialize more often. To be more balanced with my social life, acting out on my nature too effectively does not help me learn a new way of living my life.
- People Might Follow me- People that may watch what I do in recovery sometimes see my style and think, “well if Travis doesn’t socialize then why should I.” This could lead someone that naturally has a more social engagement style to isolate themselves from the growth that comes from interacting with others. I help other addicts in recovery, and we tend to take things to extremes!
- Not selling myself enough- Lets face it, to be successful in life requires selling our personal brand (reputation)! In order to be selling, I need to put myself in front of buyers! That goes for this blog, my job, my recovery, and every other relationship. If I don’t sell people on my reality, they will naturally go up into their heads and make assumptions about me. And these assumptions may not benefit the kind of life I desire to live!
Some Pros to Having a Not So Social Nature:
- Recharge my own batteries- Many people need others to recharge their batteries. I do find some recharge from other people as well! But more often than not, I find that other peeps drain my batteries more than charge them up. So, when I need to recharge I can do some meditating, do some writing or just relax, and boom my batteries are all charged up!
- A Unique Life Perspective- I have spent much of my life sizing up the world. I sit back, and I watch, I study, I read. When I open my mouth, the thoughts are usually from a perspective that other people haven’t thought about! This has led me to come up with creative ways to solve problems that maybe other people are not thinking of.
- Development of Self Knowledge- To not be surrounded by people has helped me get to know myself in a way that I would have had a difficult time doing while being constantly surrounded by others. I realize that gaining self-knowledge does require some social engagement, but ample time reflecting by myself is paramount for me getting to know myself.
- Freedom from social expectations- Now that I have been gaining more acceptance of my social style I have been able to separate the expectations of others, from expectations I actually care to take responsibility for meeting. This frees me up to do more things that I care to do, instead of running around co-dependently taking on too many other peoples
- Time for Making my own Decisions- Something that I deeply need and enjoy is having peace and quiet for making big decisions. I feel that if I do not think through my decisions that I may end up acting irrationally. Thankfully I am quite alright being solely in my own company, so I can peacefully come up with my own part of the plan without the presence of other people. Then If I cannot figure out the plan, I can then communicate with others to figure out the rest.
I realize that my nature is naturally Not So Social but writing this Cons and Pros list has opened my eyes to some new insights!
The world that I live in, in order to find great success, does seem to favor those that are more extroverted and willing to socialize. So, for me to find the kind of success I desire, and desire for my family, does require me to crack open my not so social shell from time to time!
I realize that just because my nature tends to be naturally not so social, that does not mean that I cannot learn to be more social. But that it is quite alright for me to respect my limits and not expect myself to be something that I am not.
If there is one thing I hope that you get out of this article, I hope that you can see that it is perfectly fine to be yourself. This goes for if you have a not so social nature, as well as if you have in my opinion, too social of a nature.
I also hope that you take one more thing from this article. I hope that you see that whatever social type of nature you have, there are many bonuses to learn how to be more of your opposite. My Life Experiment is all about learning new ways to live. I cannot simply accept my not so social nature, and let it be that. I have my tendencies but there is always room for improvement.
I wish you well on your path of learning how to learning more about your social nature. And thank you so much for stopping in to My Life Experiment today. If you enjoyed what you read then I would love for you to do a couple things for us.
- Please like and leave a comment below.
- Share this article on your social media.
- Follow our Facebook page!
- Join our email list below, which will get you a copy of our Therapeutic Writing Guide, and have our new articles sent directly to your email.
[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”1_3″][et_pb_blurb title=”My Life Experiment” image=”https://mylifeexperimentdotblog.files.wordpress.com/2019/12/9db50-3ca83-2-1.jpg” _builder_version=”3.0.106″ saved_tabs=”all” url_new_window=”off” use_icon=”off” icon_color=”#919191″ use_circle=”off” icon_placement=”top” animation=”top” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” global_module=”3875″]
Hello, we are Travis and Casey Hagen the writer’s and owner’s of My Life Experiment. As recovering Individuals, we are no strangers to leaving behind dysfunctional ways of living. Over the years we have become adept at managing our intense mental and emotional worlds to find healing from the past, peace in the present and new ways to bring about success for our futures. There is plenty for us to share with you about finding better ways to live. So please follow us on our journey as we share what we know, and continue to share as we invitably learn more.
[/et_pb_blurb][et_pb_code _builder_version=”3.0.106″ saved_tabs=”all” background_color=”rgba(140,216,69,0.61)” global_module=”4785″]<form action=”https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr” method=”post” target=”_top”><!– [et_pb_line_break_holder] –><input type=”hidden” name=”cmd” value=”_s-xclick”><!– [et_pb_line_break_holder] –><input type=”hidden” name=”hosted_button_id” value=”XHQ66APF3D5W8″><!– [et_pb_line_break_holder] –><table><!– [et_pb_line_break_holder] –><tr><td><input type=”hidden” name=”on0″ value=”To Support My Life Experiment.”>To Support My Life Experiment.</td></tr><tr><td><select name=”os0″><!– [et_pb_line_break_holder] –> <option value=”Payment 1″>Payment 1 $3.00 USD</option><!– [et_pb_line_break_holder] –> <option value=”Payment 2″>Payment 2 $5.00 USD</option><!– [et_pb_line_break_holder] –> <option value=”Payment 3″>Payment 3 $10.00 USD</option><!– [et_pb_line_break_holder] –></select> </td></tr><!– [et_pb_line_break_holder] –></table><!– [et_pb_line_break_holder] –><input type=”hidden” name=”currency_code” value=”USD”><!– [et_pb_line_break_holder] –><input type=”image” src=”http://mylifeexperiment.blog” border=”0″ name=”submit” alt=”PayPal – The safer, easier way to pay online!”><!– [et_pb_line_break_holder] –><img alt=”” border=”0″ src=”https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/i/scr/pixel.gif” width=”1″ height=”1″><!– [et_pb_line_break_holder] –></form><!– [et_pb_line_break_holder] –>[/et_pb_code][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]